From breastfeeding to eating solids, babies are inherently messy eaters. To make your life easier for all the many stages of eating, here is a rundown of all the best feeding accessories to have on hand.
You will want to register or purchase 6-10 bottles and nipples. You won’t know which is the best to use until your baby arrives and makes their preference known, but here are the top favorites:
- Dr. Brown’s is known for their patented venting system, designed to prevent air bubbles from being swallowed (similar to breastfeeding). This helps reduce burping, gas, spit-up and even colic. This vacuum-free effect also ensures all the essential nutrients in milk and formula are preserved.
- Don’t register for 4oz. bottles, just use 8oz. bottles and only fill it up with as little or as much as you need.
- Pro tip: pick a unique design/color so you can keep track of your bottles when visiting family/friends’ houses with other babies there.
- Winner of Baby Center’s “Best Mom Picks”
- Winner of The Bump’s “Best of Baby ” (for glass bottles)
If your baby doesn’t take to Dr. Brown’s, the following options are also very popular:
- MAM bottles are also designed to help reduce burping, gas, spit-up and even colic.
- These bottles are also self-sterilizing – simply remove the bottom of the bottle, fill with water, insert the nipple, reattach the bottom then heat in the microwave for three minutes.
- The bottle tops feature a wide, rounded mound and naturally shaped nipple to help breastfed babies accept the bottle and avoid nipple confusion.
- The soft, squishy silicone bottle has a skin-like feel for a soothing touch and better grip.
- With just three bottle parts—the nipple, the ring and the bottle—the Comotomo is super-easy to wash, either by hand, in the dishwasher or via a sterilizer; plus, the wide neck means you can fit your hand (and sponge) inside without the need for a special bottle brush.
- Two anti-colic vents are built into the nipple (read: no extra parts to assemble or clean!) to make sure baby doesn’t gulp down air, leading to less spit up, burping and gas.
- Winner of The Bump’s “Best of Baby”
- Baby instinctively connects to the bottle’s familiar shape, while 2x faster warming satisfies baby’s immediate hunger needs. Our award-winning baby bottles for breastfed babies encourage a smooth transition from breast to bottle (and back).
- A breastmilk storage bottle that cools 2xs faster to reduce bacterial growth. Even warming prevents hot spots & Quick warming allows to use safe temperatures.
- The included breast pump adaptor means you can conveniently pump directly into your bottle, seal for perfect breast milk storage, warm, and feed all from one baby bottle. Easy to clean and assemble.
- Slow flow 360 degree double vented system prevents colic and baby gas. Optimal for a breastfeeding newborn.
When it comes to bibs, the higher up on the neck the better. This helps to stop spit-up/drool sooner, which helps prevent rashes. You will want 4 to 8 cloth bibs, and only 2 to 4 of the silicon/wipe-off style bibs since they are easier to clean.
Easy to clean, you can just wipe up – plus they catch food in the built-in bucket.
Wipe-Off Bibs offer full waterproof protection for your child’s clothes during mealtime.
You will want 8 -12 burp cloths and that they are very absorbent. Unfortunately, the cuter ones typically are not as absorbent (lookin at you cuties aden + anais).
- This is the updated version of the Boppy – makes breastfeeding and bottle feeding easier and more comfortable thanks to it’s wrap around the waist design.
- Its wraparound design hugs your body, while the backrest helps prevent back and neck soreness.
- The original and classic nursing pillow.
- Winner of Baby Center’s “Best Mom Picks”
- Moms love to use the Haakaa not as an actual breast pump, but as a way to save milk when breastfeeding.
- While nursing on one side, moms attach the pump to the breast not being used to help save tons of milk that tends to leak out when not being nursed.
- “The Keurig of Baby Formula”
- The Formula Pro measures and mixes water with powdered formula to the perfect temperature and consistency every time.
- Definitely more of a luxury item than a necessity. (But I personally *love* it!!)
- Warning: Very important to keep parts clean and to clean often.
- If you plan on feeding your baby formula at any point, I suggest getting a bottle warmer.
- Here’s why: not many people realize, but formula is good for up to 24 hours. (Read the box if you don’t believe me!) This means if you serve up an 8oz. bottle and your baby only drinks 6oz., you do not have to dump those 2oz.!
- Simply put the bottle in the fridge and use it for the next feeding. All you have to do is add 6 ounces (or however much needed) on top of it and heat it up! Realizing I didn’t have to throw out all of those last few ounces was such a life saver because, let’s face it, – formula is expensive!! – so every drop counts!
Bottoms up to your (soon-to-be) very fat caterpillar! 🙂