Creating a gender neutral nursery that isn’t bland and boring can be super tough. So I thought I’d give myself the challenge of trying to design a fun, but still elegant gender-neutral nursery. Since I am a sucker for a theme, I thought I’d go for it with this fruitastic nursery inspo. I did one that was more “subtle” and one that really went for it. Would you do a fruit themed nursery or is it too over the top?
Shop Appley Ever After
Leave a comment below if this tutti-frutti decor caught the apple of your eye!
Although you may be breastfeeding or pumping for awhile … FOOD IS COMING! When introducing babies to solid foods (usually around six months old), our little angels can turn into dragons real quick. The fiery food throwing and the tantrums on a Khaleesi-in-the-Penultimate-Episode level are inevitable. To best serve our little lords and ladies, you must first register/purchase the best throne for your heir.
High chairs position your tiny Targaryen in the proper upright position for eating, providing a safe, comfortable spot for them to learn how to eat.
The top 3 considerations when purchasing or registering for a high chair are:
1. The amount of space you have. Those with smaller kitchens may want a smaller/sleeker model or one that is easy to store when not in use. Other options are a portable high chair that attaches right to the table/kitchen counter top or boosters that attach to your dining chairs.
2. How long you can use the high chair. Consider how many pounds the high chair can accommodate. Some high chairs are more versatile and can easily grow with baby, converting from an infant seat to a toddler booster and then to a chair.
3. How easy is the high chair to clean. Consider a high chair with removable parts or materials that can be wiped down easily to make cleaning a breeze.
Sleek + Simple
Parents love the 4MOMs high chair because of its magnet latches that guide the tray into position without having to use 2 hands or line up clunky rails.
It’s magnetic tray top helps prevent unwanted spills and assists with self-feeding. Also, if you purchase the 4moms bowl/lid and plate set, they are magnetic to the tray and can keep them in place.
Baby Center’s “Best High Chairs” Award Winner; “What to Expect” Award Winner; listed on The Bump’s “Most Stylish High Chairs”
A mom favorite! There’s no denying the beautiful simplicity and unbelievable affordability of this IKEA high chair. At just over $20 on Ikea’s website ($80+ on Amazon), the Antilop high chair is sturdy, compact and so easy to clean thanks to the plastic surface. Plus, it’s lightweight and easy to move around.
Baby List’s “Best High Chairs” Winner
The Graco high chair is praised for its versatility. It’s long-lasting as it grows with the baby, working as a traditional high chair, an infant booster, a toddler booster and a youth chair.
It’s foldable, ideal for smaller living spaces where you’d want to store it when not in use.
Best of all, the Table2Table transforms into an actual toddler table and chair, so you really can use it for years to come. In the infant recline and infant booster positions, it supports children up to 40 pounds, while the toddler booster and youth chair positions go up to 60.
Baby Center’s “Best Mom Picks” Award Winner; “What to Expect” Award Winner; Baby List’s “Best High Chairs” Winner; on the Bump’s “Most Stylish High Chairs” list
This high chair offers comfort, durability, versatility, ease of use, and a good compromise between style and modern high chair features. The Siesta has five recline positions, including a naptime-friendly flat position. What’s so great about a reclining high chair? You can use it as a safe and comfy place to bottle feed baby or just have her hang out in the kitchen with you while you prep dinner.
The plush insert is easily wiped down and the tray is dishwasher safe. The whole chair folds down, too, so it’s easy to stash in a closet when not in use — but with the chic, modern design, you might not feel the need to.
The Bump’s “Best of Baby” Winner and “Most Stylish High Chairs”; “What to Expect” Award Winner; Baby Center’s “Best Mom Picks” Award Winner; Baby List’s “Best High Chairs” Winner
The Stokke Tripp Trapp is stylish, durable, safe and lasts for years. Unlike typical high chairs, the Tripp Trapp is intended to be pulled right up to the table so everyone can eat together. It also transitions from baby seat to sturdy kid seat, making it usable for years.
The Bump’s “Best of Baby” Winner and “Most Stylish High Chairs” winner; “What to Expect” Award Winner; Baby List’s “Best High Chairs” Winner
Con: Very expensive $$$. The seat itself is expensive, but then the Baby Set, tray or cushion cost extra as shown below:
If you’re looking for a similarly modern wooden high chair, check out the highly rated options below:
Hands down, The Lobster is one of my top three favorite baby items I’ve ever purchased.
I originally bought it for travel or for when were going out to eat, but I’ve been using it in lieu of a standard high chair ever since I first tried it. My son is 18 months and 21 pounds and he still fits in it easily.
I have it clipped on my kitchen island counter for my son to eat for most meals, but we also use it at the table when we eat as a family.
And since hook-on highchairs like The Lobster and the Inglesia, etc. have no legs and is so compact, it makes it so easy to store. I also love that I can easily un-hook it from my kitchen counter if I am having guests over and want more space or just a cleaner look.
Below are some similar options from other brands:
If your counter or table won’t accommodate a clip-on chair or you’re simply looking for a different portable option, then this space-saving high chair is a good, really affordable choice.
This model attaches to most dining chairs, and can convert from a high chair to a toddler booster (with a 50-pound weight limit) with its two different height adjustments and three reclining positions. It weighs less than 8 pounds, so it’s ideal for travel.
Baby Center’s “Best Mom Picks” Award Winner; “What to Expect” Award Winner; Baby List’s “Best High Chairs” Winner; The Bump’s “Most Stylish High Chairs”
The Summer Pop ‘n Sit Portable Booster Baby Chair is an activity floor seat and booster all in one and can be used both indoors and outside! For 6 months – 4 years (up to 37 pounds).
My son loves sitting in this chair on his playroom floor while he watches TV or eats a snack. Since it is so compact, we love traveling with it and also bringing it to the beach. This makes snack time a lot less sandy thanks to the built-in straps and tray table.
Your little wilding will love any of these options, you just have to consider what is best based on your home, space and budget.
From bouncers to swings and loungers, these baby seats can be a lifesaver when you want to free yourself up to eat a quick meal or go to the bathroom while baby is awake and ready to play. Ladies and Gents, let’s go grab our seats!
In general, Bouncer’s should be lightweight / easy to move from room-to-room. I wouldn’t recommend a bouncer that requires batteries, because changing them out constantly is a hassle. Also, you wouldn’t want it to poop out right when your baby has finally calmed down.
The Fisher-Price Deluxe bouncer is extra plush and has electronic bells and whistles that will keep baby engaged for hours. Think hanging toys that baby can reach for and spin, as well as songs and calming vibrations.
The music plays for 20 minutes to give you time to unload the dishwasher or get a little extra work done. Plus, the soft removable newborn insert supports your baby’s head and neck — and it’s machine-washable. It can be used for babies who weigh 20 pounds or less.
Winner of Baby Center’s “Best Mom Picks”
The sleek, battery-free BabyBjorn bouncer is designed to help your baby bounce herself (safely, of course) to develop her balance and motor skills.
With four reclining positions, this baby bouncer is great for rest or play and folds completely flat, so you can easily carry or store it. It can be used once your baby weighs eight pounds.
Also good: The ergonomic fabric seat supports baby’s back, head and neck. Once your child can walk and sit unassisted, reverse the fabric cover to turn it into a comfy chair — it can hold kids up to 29 pounds, generally around age 2.
Baby floor seats provide the support and assistance your baby needs for sitting up before they’re quite ready to do it on their own. They are great for placing on a kitchen counter while you are needing to multitask or for feeding the baby.
This multi seat can be set on the floor or used as a booster seat and placed on a dining chair for table-side eating. It has the contoured comfort of the original Bumbo Infant Seat, while having the advantages of a booster seat for the table.
The tray is useful for mealtimes or activities, and can removed and stored on the back of the chair. The height is adjustable, and built-in chair straps are retractable. A soft foam cushion keeps babies comfortable, but can be removed as the child grows.
This is a super supportive chair, so it’s great for when your baby still isn’t able to sit up on their own. It’s also great for when you’re wanting to give your baby a break from laying down all day.
NOTE: It does not have a food tray, but you can attach toys to it to keep your baby busy. Also, a Doctor told a friend of mine that this seat is better for your baby than the Bumbo because it gives your baby better leg movement. (Versus the Bumbo is a little more snug on the legs.)
The first three months of a baby’s life is the hardest time for the little one as they are still trying to adjust to life outside of their mother’s womb. A swing can be an awesome way to help them through this time. The reason why is because it helps to mimic the womb. The rocking and swinging motion will remind the baby of the movement they felt when they were in the womb and how mom would walk, moving her hips.
Five motions with adjustable speeds, plus built-in sounds for ultimate soothing. Cozy, washable seat with optional newborn insert. The built-in mobile entertains curious older babies. Bluetooth-enabled and MP3-compatible so you can play baby’s favorite lullaby.
Winner of Baby Center’s “Best Mom Picks”
It outshines the competition regarding soothing ability thanks to its fully customizable features. It has soft, plush fabrics, and many song and nature sounds. 6 speeds and 2 swinging motions.
The quirkily patterned mobile can be turned on to rotate while the baby is in the swing and has a mirrored surface to entertain the baby from below.
WARNING: it does take up a lot of space and is not easy to store.
The Nuna Leaf has become a parent favorite mainly because it’s so visually pleasing thanks to its modern design, but also because it is silent (no creaking or white noise machine that switches off after a certain period) and lightweight.
It can travel anywhere, indoors or out because of it’s lightweight and that it’s not attached to a cord. The batteries will never run out, because there are none – and this means it’s cheaper too.
The age range is huge compared to normal baby swings – birth to 130 pounds. The seat is wide enough so that little babies won’t roll out thanks to the velcro harness and since it is built kind of like a hammock – bigger kids can sit in it and watch TV.
WARNING: Nuna’s website claims that the seat will maintain a swaying motion for over two minutes with a single push, and after reading a bunch of reviews — that is not always the case. According to Baby Gear Lab: The sway time may change depending on the weight of the baby, but even so, two minutes is hardly enough time for a parent to do anything but sit and wait to give the next push. The primary purpose behind having a good baby swing is to use it as an alternative to a caregiver’s arms. So, although the Leaf may be a more visually appealing product to have in your home, we don’t think it’s worth the tradeoff of the extra effort involved to keep it going.
Baby loungers provide a safe and comfy spot that lets baby rest, lounge, play, cuddle, do tummy time and get diaper changes.
Note: I recommend purchasing/registering for 2 cover sheets, so when one is dirty from all the spit up and milk spills, you have a clean one ready.
Instead of the Bobby Lounger, I used the Bobby Breastfeeding Pillow as my lounger. But, I think the Bobby loungers are a great way to rest your baby when you are pumping/folding clothes, etc. It is also great for when friends and family come to meet the baby for the first time to have them in the lounger so everyone can see the baby at once and take turns holding the baby and putting them down.
A Dock-a-Tot is a unique lounging pad designed for when your baby needs extra support. It can also be used as regular loungers for rest, lounge, play, cuddle, tummy time and diaper changes. I was handed down mine by my sister, who said she never ended up using it for her baby that was born 5 months prior to mine. I ended up not using it either.
My night nurse recommended NOT using it because it’s better for the baby to get used to sleeping in the crib immediately. I found it to be very expensive and unnecessary. But, to be fair to the Dock-A-Tot, my friends that had very small babies (6 pounds or under) said they loved the Dock-A-Tot because it made them feel like their tiny baby was cozier and more protected when sleeping in their crib.
Shop your tushies off for every item included in this post below!
From breastfeeding to eating solids, babies are inherently messy eaters. To make your life easier for all the many stages of eating, here is a rundown of all the best feeding accessories to have on hand.
You will want to register or purchase 6-10 bottles and nipples. You won’t know which is the best to use until your baby arrives and makes their preference known, but here are the top favorites:
- Dr. Brown’s is known for their patented venting system, designed to prevent air bubbles from being swallowed (similar to breastfeeding). This helps reduce burping, gas, spit-up and even colic. This vacuum-free effect also ensures all the essential nutrients in milk and formula are preserved.
- Don’t register for 4oz. bottles, just use 8oz. bottles and only fill it up with as little or as much as you need.
- Pro tip: pick a unique design/color so you can keep track of your bottles when visiting family/friends’ houses with other babies there.
- Winner of Baby Center’s “Best Mom Picks”
- Winner of The Bump’s “Best of Baby ” (for glass bottles)
If your baby doesn’t take to Dr. Brown’s, the following options are also very popular:
- MAM bottles are also designed to help reduce burping, gas, spit-up and even colic.
- These bottles are also self-sterilizing – simply remove the bottom of the bottle, fill with water, insert the nipple, reattach the bottom then heat in the microwave for three minutes.
- The bottle tops feature a wide, rounded mound and naturally shaped nipple to help breastfed babies accept the bottle and avoid nipple confusion.
- The soft, squishy silicone bottle has a skin-like feel for a soothing touch and better grip.
- With just three bottle parts—the nipple, the ring and the bottle—the Comotomo is super-easy to wash, either by hand, in the dishwasher or via a sterilizer; plus, the wide neck means you can fit your hand (and sponge) inside without the need for a special bottle brush.
- Two anti-colic vents are built into the nipple (read: no extra parts to assemble or clean!) to make sure baby doesn’t gulp down air, leading to less spit up, burping and gas.
- Winner of The Bump’s “Best of Baby”
- Baby instinctively connects to the bottle’s familiar shape, while 2x faster warming satisfies baby’s immediate hunger needs. Our award-winning baby bottles for breastfed babies encourage a smooth transition from breast to bottle (and back).
- A breastmilk storage bottle that cools 2xs faster to reduce bacterial growth. Even warming prevents hot spots & Quick warming allows to use safe temperatures.
- The included breast pump adaptor means you can conveniently pump directly into your bottle, seal for perfect breast milk storage, warm, and feed all from one baby bottle. Easy to clean and assemble.
- Slow flow 360 degree double vented system prevents colic and baby gas. Optimal for a breastfeeding newborn.
When it comes to bibs, the higher up on the neck the better. This helps to stop spit-up/drool sooner, which helps prevent rashes. You will want 4 to 8 cloth bibs, and only 2 to 4 of the silicon/wipe-off style bibs since they are easier to clean.
Easy to clean, you can just wipe up – plus they catch food in the built-in bucket.
Wipe-Off Bibs offer full waterproof protection for your child’s clothes during mealtime.
You will want 8 -12 burp cloths and that they are very absorbent. Unfortunately, the cuter ones typically are not as absorbent (lookin at you cuties aden + anais).
- This is the updated version of the Boppy – makes breastfeeding and bottle feeding easier and more comfortable thanks to it’s wrap around the waist design.
- Its wraparound design hugs your body, while the backrest helps prevent back and neck soreness.
- The original and classic nursing pillow.
- Winner of Baby Center’s “Best Mom Picks”
- Moms love to use the Haakaa not as an actual breast pump, but as a way to save milk when breastfeeding.
- While nursing on one side, moms attach the pump to the breast not being used to help save tons of milk that tends to leak out when not being nursed.
- “The Keurig of Baby Formula”
- The Formula Pro measures and mixes water with powdered formula to the perfect temperature and consistency every time.
- Definitely more of a luxury item than a necessity. (But I personally *love* it!!)
- Warning: Very important to keep parts clean and to clean often.
- If you plan on feeding your baby formula at any point, I suggest getting a bottle warmer.
- Here’s why: not many people realize, but formula is good for up to 24 hours. (Read the box if you don’t believe me!) This means if you serve up an 8oz. bottle and your baby only drinks 6oz., you do not have to dump those 2oz.!
- Simply put the bottle in the fridge and use it for the next feeding. All you have to do is add 6 ounces (or however much needed) on top of it and heat it up! Realizing I didn’t have to throw out all of those last few ounces was such a life saver because, let’s face it, – formula is expensive!! – so every drop counts!
Bottoms up to your (soon-to-be) very fat caterpillar! 🙂